Annan Athletic 1-3 Motherwell- Match Report

Louis Moult's double gives Motherwell Betfred Cup win over Annan

Louis Moult played through the pain barrier to net a second-half double as Motherwell beat Annan 3-1 in their Betfred Cup clash at Galabank.

Moult is due to have groin surgery next week but he started in the absence of the injured Scott McDonald and Jacob Blyth and he proved the match-winner with two clinical finishes in the space of three minutes.

Marvin Johnson had given Motherwell the lead from near the by-line in the 16th minute but Rabin Omar headed Annan level with their first effort on goal a minute before the break.

Motherwell named a trialist in their ranks after registering Welsh midfielder Lee Lucas with the Scottish Football Association for the remainder of the transfer window.

The 24-year-old left Swansea in the summer after his career was derailed by knee problems in recent years but he only lasted 35 minutes before going off injured.

Before then he made some sharp short passes and almost set up Moult with an excellent cross but he missed the first chance of the game when he could not turn Steven Hammell's cross home from six yards, although the delivery was at thigh height.

Moult was included after McDonald suffered a muscle strain in training on Friday while Blyth was left out to recover from an Achilles knock.

But Motherwell's goal threat will remain intact if Johnson maintains this form

His opener came from nowhere as he ran on to Hammell's throw-in near the corner flag and volleyed over Blair Currie's head into the far corner from what appeared an impossible angle.

The winger soon forced Currie into a decent stop with a powerful long-range strike following a one-two with Moult.

Motherwell looked extremely comfortable and Stephen McManus headed Lionel Ainsworth's header against the bar but Annan were level moments later.

Tony Ribeiro ran on to a pass down the left and his cross was met on the run by Omar, who headed down and past Craig Samson from eight yards.

Motherwell pushed for an early response after the break and Moult had a header blocked in the goalmouth before restoring their lead in the 61st minute when he chested home from close range after Johnson's brilliant cross.

The former Wrexham striker then turned his man 40 yards from goal before running through and finishing into the corner of the net.

Source : PA

Source: PA